The first foster home has now been in operation for 2½ years. We have a part time social worker and the support of a Management Committee.
The energy-efficient and beautifully built home is a fitting environment for the four children who have had to face much hardship in their young lives. Dineo* (age 6) was given up for adoption by her mother and as she was HIV positive, there was little hope of her being adopted. Kagiso* (age 5) was admitted into daycare and nobody returned to fetch him. Mbali* (age 5) was abandoned as a baby and Farai* (age 8) has HIV as well as epilepsy.
Their arrival has made the three-year process of envisioning, planning, designing, getting approvals and building foster homes an unmissable and worthwhile journey. The loving care of their foster parents and oversight of the Lonehill Village Church and Management Committee will ensure that their every need is met. We have seen the children thriving in their new environment and we look forward seeing these children becoming responsible, well-adjusted and productive adults who will help build this nation of ours.
The building process has shown us how God wants the best for orphans and there have been a special band of people and companies who have helped make the dream a reality. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the following:
- Martina Alberty
- All companies which have supported the IMPILO project, either with a cash contribution or a contribution in kind (materials, services): about 80 companies in total!
- Officials from the City of Johannesburg, including the Mayor, Director Development Planning and Urban Development and officials of the Regional office at Roodepoort
- Officials from JPC (Johannesburg Property Company)
- Ward Counsellor (previous and current)
- Members Service Providers Forum Cosmo City
- Chairperson Cosmo City Residents Association
- Immediate neighbours
- Volunteers from Cosmo City
- ESKOM/Johannesburg Water/PIKITUP
- Basil Read
- Department of Social Development (regional office at Krugersdorp)
- uMephi and its social worker
- EFR 24
- Members of the congregation of Village Church and the leaders of the cell groups
* not the real names of the orphans